Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Brown Porter... THE UPDATE!

Tonight I decided to check the gravity on the brown porter and give it a taste test. It's definitely done fermenting, with a final gravity of: 1.010. This puts it at an alcohol content of around 3%ABV. Yes, I know, that's not nearly as strong as most of my brews have been, but it's not really a high alcohol style. Either way, it tastes interesting. The malt flavor has a complex mix of things like toast, biscuits, and cookies as a result of the weird grain toasting I did. The hops come through pretty well but don't overpower the malt. I have a feeling it'll be pretty good once it's chilled and carbonated. That'll be sometime this weekend, I think.

I'll be using the yeast from this batch one final time in a new batch, just not sure what that batch will be. A much stronger porter could be in order considering just how many damn yeast cells I have living in the fermenter. Chocolate porter? Coffee porter? Choco-coffee porter? Something else? Maybe a basic robust porter. Not sure yet. Suggestions are always encouraged.

2 comments:

Dave said...

Choco-coffee sounds delicious!

techcommdood said...

Mmmmm... choco coffee porter...

And not bad on the FG of that porter. I know you started low. And it sounds like it came out really good. Can't wait to try it!