Thursday, February 12, 2009

Brewing Series

I really liked doing a series of brews using the same yeast cake. The fermentations were excellent and quick, so I'm already planning on my next series. I haven't brewed anything Belgian in a long time, and they really like to have lots of yeast pitched into them, so I think it's about time.

I'm thinking something along the lines of doing a relatively weaker beer, then a mid-strength beer, then something uber. Maybe do: Belgian brown (5%-ish), a dubbel (7%-ish), and finish with a quad or a dark strong or something similar (9-12%-ish). Style, yeast and recipe suggestions are always welcome. Obviously I'm going for a series of dark beers, but I could just as easily go light (pale - blonde - tripel?).

2 comments:

techcommdood said...

Sounds like a great project! Hopefully the yeasties will be strong enough to really go ape on the quad! You may want to not only re-use the cake, but feed it some yeast food as you rack the wort onto it.

darknova306 said...

Not a bad idea with the yeast food. I have a package of the Wyeast yeast nutrient, which is something I put in most of the beers I make at the end of the boil.