Thursday, February 12, 2009

Gravity Sample: Mocha Porter

The fermentation of the coffee-chocolate porter was minimal yesterday and today, so I checked its gravity this evening. It went from 1.074 to 1.018 in 4 days! Nice. That puts it over 7%. The coffee flavor came through beautifully (making it worthy of the name Mocha Porter) with the chocolate actually being fairly subtle, but still providing a good base flavor. It had the silkiness in the mouthfeel from the flaked oats, too. It smelled... roasty. As in a mix of roasted flavors. Definitely something that is waaay young and needs a decent amount of maturation, not to mention it needs to completely finish fermenting, but it's looking gooooood. :) I may rack it to secondary on Sunday (provided it's done bubbling) and just stick it in a closet to condition for a number of weeks.

The brown porter that I kegged on Sunday should be carbonated soon, so I'll probably hook up a tap to it tomorrow or Saturday and give it a taste. It's good to see multiple kegs in my chest freezer. :)

2 comments:

techcommdood said...

Nice! You may not get much lower than 1.018, but I'll be damn impressed if you drop below 1.01! Either way, a secondary is important. Even if it brings you no further fermentation worth noting, it'll make for a cleaner environment for your remaining active yeast cells to live in, and will help clarify the beer. Congrats! I can't wait to try this one!

darknova306 said...

I'm not expecting to get much lower than the 1.018 that it was at when I took the reading. Also, I fully intend to put this into a secondary for a few weeks, and was planning on racking it sometime this week.

It may not be the strongest porter out there, but there are lots of flavors so I'll make sure to give it all the time it needs to condition.