Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Update: Brown Porter

The porter I brewed Saturday was put directly onto the yeast cake of the ESB, and was bubbling like crazy through the airlock after only an hour or two. It has tailed off significantly since then, but that's probably because the original gravity was fairly low. This batch is most likely almost done fermenting. I'll check the gravity next Monday when I get back from Connecticut.

Now I'm debating whether I should reuse the same yeast again for another batch next week, or if I should look to brew with some other yeast instead. I have a bottle of the dark Belgian candi syrup that I'm looking forward to using in a dubbel sometime, but I'm thinking I want to use this British ale yeast one more time. Considering that this yeast has fermented two batches already, it might be time to brew something stronger.... ;)

2 comments:

techcommdood said...

You can repitch up to 2 times before you risk some potentially bad flavors. From ESB to brown, I would suggest a porter for the final pitch of that cake.

darknova306 said...

Interesting, I've heard people say up to 5 pitchings is fine. Either way, I'm not planning on going any further with it than one more batch. I want to start some Belgians after this next one.

As for the next batch fermented with this yeast, I've been thinking some kind of robust porter or maybe an oatmeal stout. Chocolate porter, maybe? So many CHOICES!