Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Try Try Again

Having found a number of likely causes of the weird flavors in my previous batches of beer, and with the recent success of my most recent one, I have decided to brew another this weekend to make sure my system is alright before moving onto the bigger beers I'm looking at doing soon. I'm looking to make a batch that is fairly light on cost, so it will need to be lower in gravity and lower in hops, but I'm looking for another winter style. That leads me to a style I've never tried making before: Brown Porter. It just sounds like an interesting style to try if I'm going to stay light on the gravity while aiming to have a good amount of flavor. I'll try my hand at constructing a recipe tonight or tomorrow and post it.

2 comments:

techcommdood said...

Brown Porter sounds interesting. Never tried one! Do let me know what the deal with the off flavors turns out to be, if it's ever discovered.

darknova306 said...

Yeah, brown porter was just a style that I remembered reading about at some point and decided that it would be interesting. There's an article in a BYO issue from last year sometime that talks about various porter styles. I think it was during their run of articles on dark/roasted grains and the beers brewed with them.