Monday, January 12, 2009

Beer Updates

Tonight I took gravity readings for the ESB and the American Pale Ale I brewed recently. The APA came in at 1.010 for its gravity, which was lower than anticipated (probably due to low mash temps). This one has the same weird taste the Amber has, so now I'm starting to get worried. The gravity of the ESB came in at 1.022, but that just needs more time. The ESB tastes fantastic, contrary to the other two batches I have sitting there. I have no idea what happened to the other batches, but I guess I'll leave them both in secondary fermenters and monitor how they taste over time. Sigh, at least the most recent batch worked out well.

UPDATE: After discussing my flavor issue with another brewer, it would seem that age of my yeast may be a contributing factor. The yeast in the batches that are weird was really old, but the yeast in the ESB was brand new. I'm going to plan a brew for this weekend that doesn't include too much cost in ingredients as a test batch to see if I've removed the problem by using new yeast. I plan on continuing to look for other possibilities, so we'll see what I come up with by the weekend.

2 comments:

techcommdood said...

If everything in the ESB was fine, I'm fairly certain it's just old yeast that's giving you the odd flavors in the other batches.

Feel free to name drop and blog whore all you want. ;)

darknova306 said...

Hehe, yeah I'll start whoring it up. :p