Sunday, May 31, 2009

Belgian Dubbel: Keg Tapped

I finally tapped the keg of Belgian Dubbel that I brewed in mid-March. After pouring a couple of glasses of it into my Ommegang Abbey Ale goblet, I have to say that it's decent.

The beer is a very deep burgundy color, with a thick off-white head that leaves a nice lacing behind. The aroma has a bit of sweetness in it, with some dark currant and prune-ish aromas. The body is a little bit thicker than I'd like, ending at 1.018 gravity. There's a light malty sweetness, and a mild bitterness from the hops on the back of the tongue. The flavor has a mix of dark fruit flavors with a mild floral flavor from the yeast.

All in all this one's decent, but highlights the issues I've always had making dark Belgian ales. My yeast management is lousy, I already know this. I need better temperature control and to make larger starters so I can get better attenuation from the yeast, and I should probably start mashing at lower temperatures. The attenuation is the key to why these beers aren't coming out right (though the last one also had too much aromatic malt in it). If this beer had more of its sugars consumed it would be vastly improved. Ideally, I'd like to get the final gravity down to around 1.010-1.012.

No comments: