Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Brew Day: Mild Ale

I was looking for a new session beer to put on tap and decided to brew a Mild Ale. The revised recipe is below:

Mild Ale

-4 lbs Mild Ale Malt
-3 lbs Maris Otter
-.25 lbs Chocolate Malt
-.25 lbs Crystal 60L
-.5 oz Kent Golding hops (4%AA 60 minutes)
-.25 oz Kent Golding hops (4%AA 30 minutes)
-.25 oz Kent Golding hops (4%AA 5 minutes)
-Wyeast #1968 London ESB yeast

Mash at 154F for 60 minutes.
Original Gravity: 1.042

The gravity was higher than I expected, based on my usual efficiency, so the longer sparge time I had today must have helped get me some extra extraction from the grains. The volume was dead on, as was the mash temperature, so today was a really good brew day. Hopefully, with the starter going strong yesterday, this brew should be done fermenting by the weekend and should be ready for the keg sometime next week. That's the beauty of low gravity beers: quick turn-around! :)

Now to plan the first real summer beer. That's probably gonna be a Witbier.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Kudos! Can't wait to try this one. Did you find commercial milds to compare against?

darknova306 said...

I haven't looked for commercial milds recently, but I'm sure Beers of the World has a few. I'm gonna look next time I'm over there.