Saturday, March 14, 2009

Brew Day: Belgian Dubbel

Today was brew day. Hurray! It's a been a few weeks. As the winter is beginning to wind down, I decided to take the opportunity to brew one last darker beer. This is a Belgian Dubbel which, while still dark in color, isn't really a "heavy" beer. If I didn't screw anything up, it should be pretty drinkable, especially in the crazy Rochester spring weather.

Jeff and Angela came over and helped, so it was more interesting than normal.

Belgian Dubbel

Malt:
-11 lbs British Pale Malt
-1 lb CaraAroma
-1lb Light Munich Malt

Sugars:
-1 bottle (~1.5 lbs) Dark Belgian Candi Syrup (beet sugar)

Hops:
-1oz East Kent Golding hop pellets (5.5% AA, 60 minutes)
-1oz Saaz hop pellets (4% AA, 15 minutes)
-1oz Saaz hop pellets (4% AA, 5 minutes)

Mash:
-4 gallons of water at 162F for the mash
-Mash temp stabilized at 148F (where I wanted it)
-Mashed for 90 minutes
-Sparged with 4.75 Gallons at 168F

The gravity wound up at 1.070 (temperature corrected). The yeast was Wyeast 1388 Belgian Strong Ale. I was really happy that the mash temp came in where I wanted it, as I did not want this being too unfermentable. It's supposed to be a fairly light (in body) style, so I didn't want the temp to be too high in the mash. It came in at the temperature I was aiming for. The gravity also came out where I was hoping it would. I haven't brewed a Belgian in a long time, so I'm hoping this comes out well. The brew day was pretty much free of screwups, so I'm hopeful.

5 comments:

Bo Carlson said...

Free of screw-ups is always a good thing. I look forward to seeing how this lot comes out. Keep us in the loop.

techcommdood said...

Looking forward to trying it. And you had helpers! And have a new digital camera! And STILL no photo blog! I call you to task, Jerky! ;)

darknova306 said...

Well, it's currently bubbling like crazy, so things are progressing nicely.

And yes, jackass, no photo blog yet. I fully intend to do one once I can get outside to do a full 10 gallon AG batch on the propane burner again. Still need to find out if the outside faucet can be made to function.

techcommdood said...

If you have both of these tools, the faucet outside will be functioning in no time:
1) hammer
2) landlord
Do the math. ;)

darknova306 said...

Yeah yeah, blow me. I just need to look around downstairs to see where the shutoff is for it. Meh. I'm fine doing 5 gallon batches in the kitchen for now.