Sunday, May 3, 2009

Weyerbacher Fireside Ale

I've been a fan of Weyerbacher for a long time, so when I saw a new beer by them at Beers of the World yesterday, I had to grab a couple. Last night I was playing some Rock Band with Beercommdood and Vandaronas (Bill and Dave) and popped one of these bottles open.

The beer is pretty dark with a decent, fizzy white head. The rest of the experience was very disappointing, unfortunately. The aroma reminded me, sigh... of Bud. Basically, it has that cheap, malt smell with some spicy hops. The best word to describe the aroma is thin.

The flavor here can only really be described as gross. The body is thin and lightly malty, with a touch of smokiness. The smoke and a touch of hops are all on the front of the tongue, then the back of the mouth is filled with kind of a cheap corn type flavor. I'm almost positive that corn-ish flavor was caused by a mix of the smoke and the beer I had previously, so I'm going to try it again today with a clean palate and sober head.

This is my first disappointing Weyerbacher experience. Here's hoping that it was a fluke and the next bottle does it justice.

UPDATE:
Yes, it's a gross as I thought. I just poured my second bottle of it, and after two sips I'm done. It smells thin and vaguely of Bud. The aftertaste is really nasty, some kind of smoky-corn flavor. This is undrinkable to me.

2 comments:

techcommdood said...

Did you try it again?

darknova306 said...

No, I didn't have a chance. I'll try to remember to give the second bottle a chance tonight and post my results.