Tuesday, December 16, 2008

God damn it!

Stupid mash temperatures. I actually went through with my brewing, finally. The recipe was the amber that I posted a few days ago. The initial gravity came in at 1.040, which points to me sucking at hitting my mash temperatures. Instead of the mid-150s I was hitting the mid-140s, which is an important difference. Guess I should have extended the mash for another 30-60 minutes to let the starches convert. Oh well. I need to modify my technique to hit those temps more consistently. I may wind up brewing again this weekend to try to improve my technique. We'll see.

2 comments:

techcommdood said...

Boil a couple lbs of malt extract to toss in just to get the gravity higher. This way your hops won't be overkill.

darknova306 said...

Yeah, that's a good idea. I think I might do it. I may also need to pitch a new batch of yeast, cause the yeast I pitched doesn't look like it's doing anything at all.