Saturday, December 27, 2008

Fermentation Update

The brief Christmas break I get is over so now I'm back in Rochester getting things done around the apartment. When I left for Ithaca a few days ago, the American Pale Ale I had in the fermenter had not started fermenting yet, while the English Amber was fermenting vigorously. Currently, the amber appears to be done and the pale ale is fermenting like crazy, we're talking about 4 inches of bubbly crap on top of the beer. I will probably take a gravity reading on the amber tonight to figure out what I want to do with it tomorrow. If it looks like it's done fermenting entirely, I will rack it to a keg tomorrow and begin carbonating it. If it's not finished entirely, I will rack it to a secondary tomorrow. Either way it's getting racked tomorrow so I can brew a beer with the yeast cake in that fermenter. I will be planning out a recipe for tomorrow shortly that uses the London ESB yeast in the amber's fermenter. I'm thinking of making a bitter, but I'm not entirely sure yet. I want to see if any of the new hop varieties, like Glacier, are at Beers of the World and maybe see if I can try out one or two of those to see how they work. Glacier apparently has some Fuggles-like qualities that make it sound interesting for an English beer.

Anyway, I hope everyone had a good holiday break. And screw all of you that don't have to work on New Year's Eve. Ugh.

No comments: